Using natural plant oils in your hair is a hot trend, from products infused with essential oils to conditioners, but they’re not new. For thousands of years, people have used oils for various medicinal and cosmetic purposes.
You can find them in many shampoos, serums, and other hair care products. Essential oils are distilled from the plant itself and have the signature scent of the plant. They're highly concentrated. For lavender essential oil, it takes 220 pounds of lavender flowers to make a single pound of lavender oil. Carrier oils (such as coconut oil, jojoba oil, almond oil, and olive oil) have a more neutral smell and are not necessarily distilled down like essential oils are.
A few key benefits of natural carrier oils:
- Coconut oil softens hair and increases shine
- Jojoba oil moisturizes the hair, adds nutrients and stimulates the scalp
- Argan oil moisturizes, nourishes, and provides antioxidants to your hair
- Almond oil soothes and moisturizes the scalp
- Cedarwood oil stimulates the scalp and promotes hair growth
- Chamomile oil adds shine and softness to hair, and soothes the scalp
- Clary sage oil promotes hair growth and stimulates the scalp
- Sandalwood oil helps with dry, split ends
- Geranium oil strengthens hair
- Lavender oil deep conditions the hair, maintains shine and prevents dandruff
- Rosemary oil stimulates the roots, improves hair growth, and increases circulation in the scalp